House Update – 11/02/2018

So it’s been almost 4 weeks until we got the keys to our first home, and right from day 1 we got stuck in to ripping out the old and putting our personal touches to every aspect. It’s been a challenge since getting the keys from ridiculous amounts of wallpaper in every room (including the ceilings) to awkward fireplaces and dodgy bathrooms, we’ve definitely got ourselves a project – but hopefully, it will all be worth it in the end.

So to date what progress has been made….

Day 2

What seemed like a very positive start Kyle set out to take the layers of ugly textured wallpaper off of the living room walls and ceiling and ripped up all the old flooring from both living areas, stairs, landing and all four bedrooms.

Day 3 – 7

So we’ve hit a major road bump! After spending my last week of unemployment taking every scrap of wallpaper off the dining room, hallway, stairs, landing and bedroom I came across something very unsettling. With older houses, it’s common to find bad works which had been done many many years ago but I was not expecting to find black mortar. Black Mortar is mostly found in Victorian houses and has a bad rep due to the cloud of black dust it produces when looking to replaster or rendering a house. This was not what I had in mind when naively thinking I was simply stripping the wallpaper off to paint, but none the less it’s something we now have the huge task of taking every wall in the house back to its original brick and basically starting from scratch. Let’s just say our initial budget has been completely blown out of the water.

Week 2

This week has been pretty slow, with both of us being back in work not much progress has been made but we are finally getting our plans all worked out and seeing a clear picture of how things will plan out the next couple of weeks. Finding out there was black mortar in the majority of the house was annoying, to say the least, but having a plan of attack to make sure we are seeing progress has been needed this week. The walls and ceilings slowly will come down, get bagged up and taken away ready for the electrics to all be re-wired and begin converting the 4th bedroom into a wet room.

This has turned into one massive project, one we most definitely didn’t plan or budget for but it also makes me feel very excited for what we can do to the house and transform it entirely to our taste.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s